Saturday, December 1, 2012

Gifts for deserving family members...

Hi there everyone,

It's such a wonderful feeling to be able to write freely again.  Thank you, friends, for your encouragement and support, and for simply being 'you'.  I am looking forward to shaping this blog as we go forward, and hope that you'll find my life interesting.

I've had quite a bit of fun over recent weeks.   Today, being the 1st December, is the day that my craftiness is going to be revealed.  You see, amongst other things,  I've been so busy making advent calendars and it's 'day one' today, so the recipients will be starting to open them this morning.  I have made 5 in total; 4 of which are going to some special people in my life and the last one is being sold at our local home industry.  It's been enormous fun filling them with interesting, individually wrapped gifts too. 

ADVENT CALENDAR NO 1:
 
The first one (above), is going to my doctor daughter.  J is currently in doing her internship and is working unacceptably long hours. Often she is at the hospital on 36 hour shifts.  She is sleep-deprived, but still applies herself to her calling.  I am so proud of her and want her to know how much we love and appreciate her.  She lives away from home and will be alone in the evenings for most of the December period. I wanted her to have something to remind her that she is loved and that we are thinking of her.



ADVENT CALENDAR NO 2
Calendar number 2(above) is going to my other daughter, Robz.  She's the vet student and is at home, on holiday, at the moment.  Although she is well in her 20's, she's loved the opportunity of feeling like a kid again. Each of these calendars also has a special message in the little pockets for each day leading up to Christmas.

ADVENT CALENDAR NO 3
Calendar number 3 (above) is going to my little niece - Katie-Meg.  This amazingly inspirational 12-year-old is currently suffering the debilitating condition of Juvenile arthritis.  She has been in a wheelchair for the past year and suffers immense pain on a daily basis.  Her strength of character is an inspiration to everyone around her.  I thought she'd enjoy being reminded that she is so special.

If you ever see this...."I love you, Katie-Meg!"

ADVENT CALENDAR NUMBER 3

































Advent calendar number 3 (Above) is going to Katie-Meg's sister, Amy.  Sadly Amy has also recently been diagnosed with Juvenile arthritis.  She has also begun to suffer excruciating pain in all her joints.  Both girls have been incredible athletes prior to their diagnosis, but now suffer excruciating pain on a daily basis.  It has been a devastating blow for the entire family.


This afternoon, we are going to the family of Katie-Meg and Amy to hand over the money that we have collected for a raffle which I have recently organised.  The advent calendars will be handed over to the girls at the same time.  I've asked the girls to do the draw for the raffle...


(Above: The cot blanket which I crocheted as part of the raffle presentation below)
People have been so generous in their support of this amazing family.  Their medical expenses have been astronomical with both girls receiving chemotherapy/physio, etc, etc.  I wanted to do my own little part by organising this small raffle, but we have been blown away by the generosity of people.  I'm not sure at this stage, how much money we have collected, but am so grateful to my team of ticket sellers that have been party to this initiative.  It's going to be fun this afternoon watching the girls faces as they do the draw, and receive their advent calendars.

ADVENT CALENDAR NUMBER 5
The final advent calendar (above) is the very first one that I made.  It was the experiment that started this whole process. It is slightly smaller than the others, but is ideal for sweets/chocolates.  I've decided to sell it at our local home industry.  We'll see, perhaps someone will buy it. 

So, which advent calendar is your favourite???

Well, I'm off now... Our car is full of.... flowers, eats (for tea), advent calendars, raffle presentation and raffle tickets.  We're in for a fun afternoon.

That's all for now.
Lots of love to you all,
Caryl
xxx

6 comments:

  1. Wow you have been productive! All the calendars are so special - how much nicer to receive something made at home with love. On purely aesthetic grounds, I Amy's like the jolly blue and red one best of all.
    Happy Advent.
    Cheers, Gail.
    PS Thinking of Christmas, I feel compelled to tell friends that the new head of the Church of England, Justin Welby, is a former colleague of mine. Yes really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all lovely, but the first is my favorite.

    Mango Momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them all and would have bought one for sure if I had lived nearer. You have done all the special people in your life very proud. I would have bought tickets to win the very beautiful blanket.Love your new blog.. Hugs Carol and GJ x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your advent calendars are wonderful, and I'm sure they will be treasured over the years by both your daughters, Katie-Meg and Amy as they are so much nicer to have than the mass produced items in the shops. I love how you have included messages in them.

    I have to admit, that yesterday I hung my own advent calendar up (made by me a couple of years ago) and so far it remains empty! I need to fill it up today with some chocolates (or perhaps little dog biscuits for the boys).

    Love
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Caryl! Thanks for the invite! The calendars are beautiful! I like the fabric that you used on the first and third ones. What special gifts. I hope your day goes perfectly!

    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear Caryl, Wow have you been busy!!!! What incredible Advent Calendars you made-I love each of them; lucky are those who receive them. I'm excited that you have this new blog-I know you'll inspire me.
    Hugs and love,
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete