Tuesday, January 21, 2014

2014: My year of Spiritual Pilgrimage


Dear friends

I have always hoped for an opportunity to read the bible through - fully - at least once before I die. To date, my spiritual life has mostly involved meditating around specific passages of the bible.  I believe, however, that if we are to understand the messages of these 66 books properly, it is important that we read them as a collective - understanding their parallels, echoes, prophecies, settings, the historical norms and culture of the people of those times.  Also,the stories which preamble the life of our precious Saviour, Jesus Christ.

As many of you may know, I was baptised last year and have felt a strong pulling towards making 2014 the year to fulfil my wish. It's meant to be a year of gratitude too for me (thus the 'gratitude' blogposts which I started on my other blog - 'LIVING LIFE TO THE MAX'.)

For all these reasons,, I felt it was time to attend a formal Bible school.  I have enrolled at the "Morning School of the Bible" this year and will be starting tomorrow. It's a smallish, inter-denominational group who meet, once a week on a Wednesday, at Weltevreden Chapel, Radiokop, Johannesburg. The group is supportive and encouraging - an invaluable back-up in achieving this objective. 

This is obviously my personal year of "inner-spiritual-pilgrimage" where I to try to unravel God's greater plan for my life and those around me, and also to arm myself with a better knowledge of the Scriptures.

We'll see how it goes.  I'm not making any promises, but I'd like to share bits of this journey on this blog - time permitting - and would appreciate your support in this too.  If you are so inclined, please pray for me too.  It's a big, daunting step for me. The readings each week are intensive and will require a serious time commitment.  Essays, too, will demand some serious thought. 

I realise that a 'Christian blog' may not be everyone's cup-of-tea. There is no harm intended if you haven't crossed the line of faith, but this is something I need to do and I have decided to share it in this particular blog -


'Maxmom's life' (this blog) is intended be a more personal and intimate place for the readers who choose to follow me. Please know that I am a merely a believer and not a saint by any means! But I also believe that we can all benefit from sharing one another's spiritual journeys in this life. So, please feel free to express yourself in the comments' section.  I would love to hear your thoughts and appreciate knowing that you are there, behind the scenes, lifting me up in prayer.  Thank you!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jer 29: 11 NIV)

Sending lots of love
Caryl
(a.k.a 'Maxmom in South Africa')

7 comments:

  1. Dearest Caryl --
    You are with me daily - inspiring me to start my own "grateful" list. I promise to pray for you as you begin your new journey. My day for "Prayer and Share" is Thursday and I shall share your new beginnings with my group. I know you will be busy but I hope you will keep your followers informed of your activities. God has already bless you beyond measure, and may He continue to do so.

    Your sister in Christ, Elinor Teska
    Florida, USA "Prayers go up; blessings come down."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Elinor,
      Your message meant so much to me - thank you for your encouragement and for your prayers. You are right - I am abundantly blessed - particularly with the amazing fellow-cyber-Christian friends around the world. May god bless your little "Prayer and Share Group". With love.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I'm a new reader..so glad I came across your blog. I am always concerned about stepping on toes when it comes to faith-based blogging. I don't want to offend anyone, yet I feel called to share more of a spiritual journey, I just can't figure out how yet how to fit that into my dog blog. Maybe it doesn't fit...lol. I want to let you know that I support you! I will be back! I will pray for you too, as you spend this year in the Word. I love Jer 29:11. It gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherri,
      Don't be afraid, dear friend... Let God direct your path. He will lead the right people to you.
      With love, c

      Delete
  3. You know I am so excited about this blog. I can't wait to see what God shows you. I always tell people that as a Christian I do not have all the answers...No, I only know that I am a sinner saved by God's grace and led by His Word and His Holy Spirit. It's only by God's grace and nothing that I've done that accomplishes anything in my life. I know that you will find true nuggets in His Word. Thanks for sharing them.
    Love you, your sister in Christ, Mrs. JP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been an icon of strength during my own journey. Thank you for following our Lord's leading.
      With love, c

      Delete
  4. Dear Caryl
    I have come just special tonight to let you know that I will be reading what you share. I will follow your journey. Each bend, I will follow you. I will listen . Sometimes you may not know I am close,,, but I am.
    I know this is important to you,,,this journey,, and I am happy that you have found this sacred place that brings you joy. I was your friend before and I still am
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete