Friday, October 24, 2014

The essential ingredient...



I took time to carefully measure out the ingredients and mix them together into a smooth dough. I felt warmed by the notion that I was doing something  special for my family. Then I rolled up the little balls in the palm of my hand and carefully placed them on the baking tray.  After gently flattening them, I gingerly pressed out tiny indentations into the flattened, soft dough. These would be the troughs for the drops of jam each of them needed. I placed the tray in the pre-heated oven and breathed a sigh of satisfaction.  Then I set the timer and waited...

  Soon the house was filled with that homely aroma of freshly baked "yummies". I was sure that my family would devour them - the perfect complement to a companionable "cuppa".

When the timer buzzed, I reached for my oven gloves and opened the oven. 

My heart sank...

Instead of beautifully light, puffed up cookies, they looked hard and flat. 
I'd left out the essential ingredient! Baking powder.  
Oh dear :(

As the creator of these cookies, I must admit, I was really disappointed. 

---xXx---

But it got me thinking...

---xXx---

How many of us have left out the essential ingredient in our own lives?
How many of us, who have been perfectly created, choose to live flat lives with hardened hearts?
How many of us feel incomplete?
Couldn't life be so much better?

Now imagine our own Creator - God - looking down and seeing this?
Imagine his heart  when He sees the gift he so freely offers...rejected, forgotten...

Perhaps it's time for some of us, today, to become part of the abundant life that our precious Lord, Jesus Christ offers in His Kingdom.

It's your choice.

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
(Jn 10:10)

(Above: Lilac-breasted roller: Kruger National Park, Sept 2014)

Prayer:
Dear Father God, 
Thank you for giving us the choice of receiving an abundant life, in You.  
Forgive us for any doubt that we ever entertained. 
 Help us to lead this life in the way that You would like us to live it.
Help us to be a creation in which You take joy. 
In Jesus' name, Amen.

---xXx---

Sending lots of love to all my friends around the world.
May God bless you as you consider His Kingdom.
Caryl

3 comments:

  1. I know its important to balance and have the right ingredients. or stuff goes weird.. very weird.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a great way to describe a life lived without Christ. I'm sorry you had to waste a whole batch of cookies for the example. Maybe, like me, it was the sAcrifice that the cook makes in eating most of the cookies while making the next batch. ! Haha

    ReplyDelete