Tuesday, May 6, 2014

THE LONG-AWAITED GIFT

(A devotion, by Caryl Moll)

The little gift-box rested on the small coffee table in our sitting room. Its shimmery packaging winked at me in wonder and I moved closer to inspect the carefully scripted label

 “Don’t open until your birthday!”

I stood, transfixed – admiring its delicate paper and the large pink bow which encased it.  I must have stood there for ages – gingerly touching it and examining the careful way it had been wrapped. But was in it? Perfume?  A gift voucher?  A ticket to some far-away destination?  The intrigue was eating at me and its small size gave no indication of its value either.  But the intention was clear:  I was loved and this gift had been carefully prepared for me. 

As my birthday drew closer I was reminded that this package was so much like my own “gift-in-waiting” to God. Although I have been given an earthly body, it is up to me as to what I put inside. Will mine be snow white, or sadly tainted?  Will I be ready for the moment I meet my Lord?  Am I worthy of being called a Temple of the Holy Spirit? Or will I be offering my Lord an empty mask?

Our reckoning day draws closer. Our packaging will be removed and the gift behind our masks revealed.  What a joyful day it will be if our Master’s response is;

 “Well done, my good and faithful servant!”

---xXx---

“But the Lord said to Samuel, ‘Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him.  The Lord does not look at things man looks at.  Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 
(1 Samuel 16:7 NIV)

Reading:  Psalm 139

---xXx---

5 comments:

  1. I praise Him that His blood cleanses my temple and renews it daily sealing me with His Holy Spirit until that sweet day. Come quickly Lord Jesus. I just, today, finished my study of Matthew Bible study and have the summer to do a something different. I think I'm going to take small passages and meditate on them, writing in my journal along the way as well for a time of refreshment to get me ready to start back in September. I'm enjoying these treats you provide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely devotional Caryl. Trevor Hudson's question "How can I live well?" comes to mind as I read this. It's so important to consider what we are putting in to our lives, and what is flowing out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MAXMOM....
    I'm back!! Did you miss me?! ;)
    Just for the record. I transform into an impatient small child whenever somebody hands me a gift that cannot immediately be opened!! ;op
    Love you later, Raelyn and Rose

    ReplyDelete