I realise that there are many, many people around the world (approximately 125 million) who suffer from depression. The difficulty, however, is that we all suffer uniquely and differently. It is with this in mind that I would like to share some of the profound teaching from our pulpit yesterday. I really feel that sufferers can benefit from this teaching.
This wonderful message was particularly focussed on 'ANGER' and was prompted by an unfortunate road-rage incident which happened in our city on Friday. Sadly, one person was killed and the other suffered serious injuries. A murder charge now hangs over his head.
While I sat listening to the message in church yesterday, I couldn't discount the fact that it applied to all our human emotions and our responses to life-incidents. I found too that all the elements of the message can be applied to those of us who suffer from ANXIETY & DEPRESSION. It is with a deep sense of love that I share some of the points from the sermon with you:
TITLE OF THE SERMON:
"KEEPING YOUR COOL WHEN YOUR ANGER IS HOT"
* We must begin to realise that we need to SLOW DOWN in our emotional responses to life-incidents; take a deep breath before we react
* It is important to ACCEPT our condition (in our case - ANXIETY and DEPRESSION) and UNDERSTAND our heightened responses.
* We should take the time to develop an ACTION PLAN so that we can apply it when we notice the darkness of DEPRESSION descending. We are encouraged to sit down this week, during our quiet-time, and to seriously think about this. Here are the points to consider for our ...
PERSONAL ACTION PLAN:
- To ACKNOWLEDGE the intensity of our emotions in particular situations.
- To take time to assess the SOURCE of these emotions
- To analyse our RESPONSES to different life-circumstances.
- To admit and accept our universal need for LOVE, SIGNIFICANCE and SECURITY...and to realise that God can and will provide for all these needs:
"And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus" (Phil 4:19 NIV)
So, dear friends, if you are in this boat, please join me in putting this action plan into your life.
I would like to take a moment to acknowledge the teaching from our pastor Calven Cilliers (NEW HARVEST CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP) and for his love and commitment to bringing us this Godly-inspired message.